Saturday, June 07, 2008

Mommy Lois' Pecan Pie


I have a vast collection of cook books, some of which remain semi-permanently in boxes for lack of shelf space. Yet I relish trawling through the Internet in search of inspiration. I found this particular recipe six years ago and, doing a search right now, I gleefully find it's still there :)

I don't know who Mommy Lois is, but she hit the nail on the head with this one. Chewy, nutty, gooey... mmmm, thank you Mommy!
As usual I couldn't help fiddling with the recipe here and there, using only brown sugar, for example, and substituting 1/4 cup of the corn syrup with molasses. All a matter of preference.

Pecan pie is clearly not something the average granny has a recipe for in the tropics, but here in the vast expanse of North America, where one might fancy warm, comfort food at least half the year, it fits right in. It's probably more of an autumn or winter sweet, but I fancied one today, and hey, it's my blog!

  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup sugar (I use brown)
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1 cup pecans, chopped
  • 3/4 cup corn syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • Dash of salt
  1. Beat the eggs, add sugar and continue to mix
  2. Add butter, vanilla, salt
  3. Drizzle in corn syrup slowly while mixing
  4. Pour into ready pie mould (decorate with extra pecans if you like)
  5. Bake at 300F (150C) for about an hour till firmish and not wobbly.
  6. Wow, easy or what?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.. sounds easy on paper! haha :D

What is corn syrup? any substitute if not available? can substitute the pecans too?

It looks so good. Might try it to reward myself after I've succeeded ditching the extra pounds off me! ;)

Diva Indoors said...

Corn syrup is a mostly glucose sugary syrup made from corn starch. It is used to help thicken sweets, puddings and pies, and it also helps them retain moisture. In this recipe, I don't think there is a substitute, but I am confident you can buy it in Singapore because I have in the past! :D

On substituting the nuts, erm, you could try...but may have to change its name to Jen's Peanut Pie .. ;)

Anonymous said...

erm... if it's not patented, i may give it a try and rename it to my "credit" :D provided i have success.. hehee

ShareThis