Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Yummy Yoghurt

As a child growing up with my Indian grandparents, I was fortunate to have been introduced to live, homemade yoghurt and had lots of it, sometimes as a drink - lassi - thinned with milk, sweetened with a touch of sugar, and sometimes as an accompaniment to food, the thick white creamy yoghurt flecked with bits of red chilli, onion and ginger. Which, incidentally, I didn't find spicy at all :)

When I was pregnant with my first son, I was delighted to come across a medical study which encouraged mothers-to-be to consume the stuff, based on indications that babies born to yoghurt-eating mums had healthier intestinal and digestive tracts and a stronger immune system. The argument was that the good bacteria in yoghurt and its acidity created an unconducive environment for bad bacteria.

Add to that the fact that yoghurt can minimise bad breath, mitigate the side effects of antibiotics, treat diarrhoea in babies and prevent yeast infections.

They had me at Yo....

My boys have had plain, live yoghurt almost every day with lunch and dinner since they were about seven months old and love it. I sometimes dress up their yoghurts as dessert, topped with chocolate rice or marshmallows or drizzled with maple syrup.

No comments:

ShareThis